Approximately 800,000 of H1N1 (or swine flu) shots for children have been recalled after tests indicated that the vaccine doses lost some strength, government health officials announced on Tuesday.
The shots, made by Sanofi Pasteur, were distributed across the country last month and most have already been used, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The pre-filled syringes that were recalled are for children ages 6 months to nearly 3 years, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
Dr. Anne Schuchat, a CDC flu expert, stressed that parents don’t need to do anything or to worry if their child got one â€” or even two â€” of the recalled shots. The vaccine is safe and effective, she said in the APâ€™s report.
Tests performed before the shots were shipped showed that the vaccines were strong enough; however, tests done weeks later indicated the strength had fallen slightly below required levels, the AP reported.
Officials with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the CDC and the company all said they believe the strength of the recalled doses is still high enough to protect children against the virus and that they do not need to be vaccinated again.